St Alkmund's Church, Church Drive, Duffield, originally an early 14th century church.
'The Church, dedicated to St. Alkmund, is a handsome Gothic edifice, containing nave, north and south aisles, separated by stone piers and pointed arches, a transept, vestry, chancel, and an aisle on the north side, called the vicar’s chancel, and a tower containing six bells and a clock, surmounted by a lofty spire. The church was thoroughly renovated very recently, and the south aisle was restored at the sole expense of the Misses Colville, and contains many ancient monuments.' (1)
'St Alkmund's Church, Duffield lies outside the village to the southeast. The west tower looks 14th century, and is probably early. The church is much restored and it is not certain how much of the detail is reliable.' (2)
'In normal use.' (3)
'West tower, 14th century nave, north aisle, east window and north transept. The north arcade is 17th century on a remodelled Norman core.' (4)
'The church contains a monument to Anthony Bradshaw.' (5)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 34 SW 3/16
PARISH OF DUFFIELD, MAKENEY ROAD (south side) Church of St Alkmund
GV I Parish Church. Early C14, C15, C17, restoration 1847 by J.P St Aubyn and 1896-97 by J.O Scott. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate and felted roofs, stone-coped gables. West steeple, nave with aisles, outer south aisle chapel, south porch, north transept, chancel and north vestry.
Early C14 tower of three stages, four to west, divided by chamfered string courses. Angle buttresses with five set-offs, with pilaster strips linking them to the battlemented parapet. The north and south sides have a trefoiled lancet to the middle stage, clock face above, and two-light bell-openings with cusped Y-tracery. The west side has a doorway with roll moulding and hoodmould, a two-light window above almost round-arched, with cusped ogee tracery, and then as the north and south sides. The east side has similar bell-openings. Recessed octagonal stone spire. Weather cock, 1719 by Robert Bakewell.
The south aisle east and west windows are Decorated style of 1847, when the roof was given its steep pitch. Shallow gabled south porch with plain parapet. Double chamfered doorway with moulded capitals and chamfered hoodmould. Single rectangular window to west, two-light chamfered mullion window to east. Diagonal buttresses. To the right a C19 three-light window with flat head and cusped ogee lights.
Projecting shallow gabled south chapel, 1896 by Scott. Parapet with frieze of wavy decoration. Decorated style windows. The chancel has three two-light windows with cusped ogee tracery under flat arches. Low, single chamfered priest's door. Two tall buttresses. Five-light Perpendicular east window with panel tracery. Gabled north vestry with tall chimney. Doorway with Caernarvon arch and a pair of trefoiled lancets to east. North aisle east window of three stepped lancets. Between the vestry and the north transept a window of two lancets with a trefoil above.
North transept has to east a window with Y-tracery, to north a window of three stepped lancets and to west a two-light Decorated window. North aisle with steeply pitched roof, raised in 1847. To the north are two three-light windows of cusped ogee lights under a flat arch. Doorway with wave moulding. West window with Decorated style tracery.
INTERIOR: three bay north and south arcades, octagonal piers and abaci, double chamfered arches, those to north with round arches. Treble stepped tower arch, keeled responds with stiff leaf capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order dies into the imposts, the outer order has nook shafts to the west. Single chamfered arch to north east chapel, double chamfered arch to north chapel. Perpendicular style two bay arcade to south chapel with castellated capitals. Low-pitched nave roof with tie beams on corbels. Scissor-braced aisle roofs of 1847. Panelled roof with foliage bosses in south chapel. Barrel-vaulted panelled roof in the vestry.
MONUMENTS: three C18 wall tablets in the south aisle and another in the north aisle. In the north chapel an unusual monument to Anthony Bradshaw, died 1614, the monument set up in 1600. A frieze divides the substructure with rusticated pillars and inscription tablets from the superstructure also with rusticated pillars. On top are inscription plate and obelisks and achievement. On the frieze incised demi-figures of husband in the middle, two wives at the outer corners, and twenty children between, four sons on the left of the father and sixteen daughters in two tiers to the right. All the figures have their initials to the left and right of their heads. In the north east chapel a monument to Sir Roger Mynors, died 1539, and his wife. Alabaster effigies on a tomb chest with saints in round-arched cusped panels. A number of C18 and C19 tablets in the chancel. Low ogee tomb recess to chancel north.
Chancel furnishings, panelling, reredos, choir stalls, rood screen, all by Scott, as are the chapel screens and the pulpit. Stained glass in the chancel windows, may be by Kempe. Panelled octagonal font, possible C17.
Listing NGR: SK3495142772.'