Monument record MDR4731 - Cross (remains of), Church Lane, Morley
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1400 AD)
Cross [GT] is marked on the 6" OS map of 1913-38. (1) The shaft of a 'cross, with part of the cross remaining, and with the steps complete, stands … in grounds now belonging to the rectory, but which was enclosed from a public green about a century ago; we take it to be of fourteenth century date'. (2) A "new Madonna" has now been added to the cross. (3) This cross still exists. The base at ground level measures 3.5m x 3m, and is built up in seven courses to a height of about 2m. The shaft including the surmounted canopy is 2.4m in height (see illustrations card). (4) Report of 22-1-50 correct. (5) This village cross was probably built in the 14th century, and restored in the 19th century. It is built of gritstone, is square in plan and is raised on five steps. It has a square base and tapering shaft with chamfered angles. A 19th century top with a moulded cap is surmounted by a square lantern with crocketed niches and a crocketed pinnacle above. The cross stands on church property, but before enclosure this was the village green. (6)
- <1> SDR12050 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1913-38. 6".
- <2> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p 346.
- <3> SDR302 Bibliographic reference: Mee, A (ed). 1937. Derbyshire. p 196.
- <4> SDR15057 Personal Observation: SS Reviser 22-JAN-50.
- <5> SDR6363 Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3959 4089 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MORLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 7 2009 4:16PM