St Michael's Church, Church Street, Holbrook, built in 1761.
'St. Michael's Church, Holbrook, was built in 1841. On its north side are long arched windows and a pedimental porch from the previous building of 1761. It was altered and enlarged in the early 20th century.' (1)
'St Michael's Church was built as a private chapel for Holbrook Hall in 1761. It became a parish church in 1835 and was enlarged in 1841. It was badly damaged by fire in 1891 and again in 1907. Following the second fire, the south aisle, chancel and porch were added by Naylor & Sale.' (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'PARISH OF HOLBROOK CHURCH STREET SK 34 SE 4/13 (West Side) Church of St Michael GV II
Parish church. 1761, mostly rebuilt and enlarged 1841 by Williams Evans, also altered in early C20. Ashlar sandstone with sandstone dressings and slate roof, hipped to south aisle, with wide overhanging eaves and western bellcote. Plinth, wide clasping corner pilasters and plain eaves band. Italianate style. Nave, chancel, south nave aisle, and north vestry and porch. West elevation has three adjoining semi- circular headed windows with metal casements and plain sill band below. To centre of gable above is a raised section of wall supported on corbel table, with central bull's eye window in moulded surround, which continues up into the bellcote. This has louvred semi-circular headed bell openings to east and west sides with moulded arches, raised keystones and imposts, also corner pilasters and a widely overhanging roof with bracketed eaves. North elevation has a porch to west end with central semi-circular headed window in raised surround to north side and semi-circular headed doorcase to east with raised arch, vermiculated keystone and panelled door, also a broad continuous impost band and pedimented roof over the door. To east the nave has three tall semi-circular headed windows with Y-tracery, beyond these is the north vestry with semi-circular headed western door and northern window similar to that to porch. To east again is a blocked semi-circular headed window with small 2-light window to base. East elevation has an inserted Caernarvon arched doorcase to north and to centre a large Diocletian window, now with incongruous 1930s tracery. Above in the gable is a clockface. South elevation has one original semi-circular headed window with metal casement to east and to west the south aisle with wide semi-circular headed 3-light mullion windows, four to south, and one to east with cusped tracery to top of the lights. Each window has full height stepped buttresses each side. West end of aisle has a circular window in moulded surround, and a low addition attached to base. Interior has four bay south arcade with plain square piers and semi-circular arches. Stepped semi-circular chancel arch with pilaster strips to either side and beyond narrow pointed arches through to separate bays either side of the chancel. Above the southern arch is a shallow 2-light opening. Chancel has barrel vaulted ceiling and blind semi-circular headed arches to either side. Nave roof has a grid of beams and aisle roof is barrel vaulted with plain transverse ribs. West end of nave has segmental blind arch across full width of nave. Elaborate 1938 chancel fittings in oak with carved pierced friezes, including similar style pulpit. Nave pews C19 and plain. Stone font to west end of nave C18 with bulbous stem. Various wall memorials, the best to Thomas Bradshaw Armigen, c1760, of coloured marble. Of the remaining four there are two C19 slate and white marble memorials and two similar early C20 ones. East window has early C20 stained glass and west window of south aisle has painted rose window, probably early C19.
Listing NGR: SK3638544653.'