Lea Wood Hall, off Mill Lane, Dethick, Lea and Holloway, built in c1874.
'This is an interesting building of mixed style and materials that was built by Nesfield in 1870-6. The original occupant owned the now demolished local hat factory and removed from the building in Matlock Bath now known as the New Bath Hotel. The building is now used as a private house and flats .' (1)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 35 NW PARISH OF DETHICK, LEA AND HOLLOWAY MILL LANE Hall, 1/78 26-11-79 Lea Wood Hall, entrance gatepiers and attached boundary wall (formerly listed as Lea Wood Hall) GV II*
Small County House. 1874-7. W. Eden Nesfield, architect. Vernacular revival composition reflecting a variety of regional influences, and exhibiting the free use of stonework, tile hanging and timber frame detailing. Informal plan, based around a small kitchen courtyard and an outer entrance courtyard, and dominated by deep tiled roofs, hipped and half hipped, with crested ridges, and massive clustered decorative brick stacks, formerly with boldly corbelled caps. Irregular 'U' plan achieves balanced asymmetry, with a dominant entrance range, and a lesser service range projecting from a cross range which carries the garden elevation. Entrance elevation of two bays, two storeys and attics, dominated by broad double jettied half timbered gable rising from a stone ground floor with chamfered plinth. Jetty bressumer carried on brackets supported by moulded timber corbel beams. Bressumer, collar and tie beams are moulded, and have carved crenellations, with decorative plasterwork to infill panels of close studding, and to coved base of the 7-light first floor oriel, with avolo moulded timber mullions and leaded lights. 3-light window to gable apex and moulded barge-boards to oversailing roof. 3-light chamfer mullioned and transomed window to ground floor, and deeply splayed doorway in ashlar masonry, with chamfered pointed segmental arch of three stages beneath hoodmould. Planked door with cover strips. Recessed bay to west with chamfered plinth, with moulded string-course and a single casement window with glazing bars. Flanking side wallstacks to gabled range, rising in ashlar to above eaves level, and continuing as brick clusters above. To the east, a kitchen courtyard is enclosed by a masonry wall with moulded plinth incorporating a doorway with moulded surround and Tudor arched head. Secondary range encloses east side of courtyard with deep tiled roof and 2, 3 and 4-light casements beneath segmental arches. Doorway beneath brick arch, with quoined surround and six panelled door. Garden front of 7 bays, masonry to ground floor, tile hanging above. Timber mullioned and mullioned and transomed windows of 2, 3 and 4-lights, with leaded glazings. Canted two storey half timbered bay to west end, with ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed windows, the infill plasterwork decorated. Massive external masonry stack to east, with decorative brick cluster stack rising from stonework above eaves. Broad asymmetrical gable to east end with casement windows, and in lower range to centre, coupled gabled dormers with decorative plasterwork to apexes. Interior substantial interior details survive, including principal ground floor heaths, the main staircase and painted glass to stair windows, together with doors and door furniture. To the north of the entrance elevation, a pair of entrance gatepiers, 2.3 metres high, square in plan, with projecting moulded bases to pyramidal caps. Flanking walls, with set-off to inner side, and with ridged copings. Lower square piers to garden entrance, with coping mould run into pyramidal caps.
Listing NGR: SK3228156221.'