Listed Building record MDR4866 - Bailey's Mill, off Lumsdale Road, Matlock Town
Type and Period (4)
- MALT HOUSE (Georgian to Late 20th Century - 1750 AD? to 1971 AD?)
- STOREHOUSE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1971 AD? to 2019 AD?)
- BUILDING (21st Century - 2019 AD to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (21st Century - 2019 AD to 2050 AD)
Bailey's Mill, off Lumsdale Road, Matlock Town, a mid 18th century building. 'Long stone building, three storeys high, with stone slab roof now covered in pitch, north-east of Bailey's Mill in Matlock. It was formerly a malt kiln. Later additions mask the front of the building, but three original windows can be seen at the lower end. The 1895 lease shows the building out of use as a kiln. (1-3) 'Old malthouse and cottage of c1799. The loft floor has been removed. Shown on the tithe map of 1848 when Joseph Ludlam was the tenant. In 1971 it was in use for storage.' (4) The building and its immediate surroundings were subject to a borehole survey and watching brief over groundworks associated with residential development in 2019. Three boreholes excavated inside the former mill established that earlier floor surfaces survived below the modern concrete flooring, while boreholes excavated outside the structure revealed details associated with the original construction of the building. (5) From the National Heritage List for England: '1. THE CLIFF 1390 MATLOCK Former Malt House of Matlock Mill SK 3059 5/96 5.9.72. II GV 2. Mid C18. Coursed stone rubble. Of 3 storeys, the ground floor elevated. The end bay on west side has 1 sash window in plain surround, the remaining bays obscured by modern lean-to structure. Moulded stone eaves; coped end gables with kneelers; slates. St Andrew's House, Matlock Mill & former Malt House of Matlock Mill form a group. Listing NGR: SK3089359957.' (x)
- <1> SDR10824 Index: NDAT. NDAT (no specific reference).
- <2> SDR18607 Listed Building File: 1972. Notification of Listing. 3/3059/096.
- <3> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Malt kiln, Matlock; 1972.
- <4> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(g).1, with photos.
- <5> SDR24573 Unpublished document: Thouki, A and Z Cavendish (ARS Ltd). 2019. Archaeological Supervision, Recording and Reporting at Bailey's Mill, Lumsdale Road, Matlock, Derbyshire.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1247907.
|Grid reference||SK 30893 59957 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2020 7:09PM