Site record MDR7734 - Site of Matlock Mill (Bailey's Mill) and Millpond, off Lumsdale Road, Matlock Town
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Former site of Matlock Mill (Bailey's Mill) and millpond, off Lumsdale Road, Matlock Town, a mid 18th century mill complex. Bailey's Mill, Matlock. The large rambling five storey stone mill, probably dating back to the late 18th century, was built for Samuel Unwin, across a deep narrow valley on the Bentley Brook. There is presently no sign of either a waterwheel or of turbines, but the water courses remain. A steam engine was added in the late 19th century and roller milling was introduced about the same time. Henry Bailey started to operate from the mill in 1881 and EH Bailey Ltd continued to work here until at least 1941. It has now been converted into a number of apartments. (1) Large four storey corn mill formerly E.H. Bailey's Upper Mill, with a large dwelling house and a malt house. The mill is built on an old water power site on the Bentley Brook. Currently (1997) disused. (2) Part of the site was subject to a bnorehole survey and watching brief in 2019. (3) The complex is comprised of three separate Grade II listed buildings. Please see linked records.
- <1> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. A36, pp 48-49, plates 10 & 11.
- <2> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
- <3> SDR24573 Unpublished document: Thouki, A and Z Cavendish (ARS Ltd). 2019. Archaeological Supervision, Recording and Reporting at Bailey's Mill, Lumsdale Road, Matlock, Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3089 5992 (180m by 111m)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2020 7:18PM