Monument record MDR4890 - Higham Dairy Farm and former watermill, Bumpmill Lane, Shirland and Higham
Type and Period (5)
- WATER WHEEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD? to 1900 AD)
- MILL POND (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD? to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
- CORN MILL (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
- SAW MILL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD?)
SK 387584. Higham Dairy Corn mill was a former mill and cheese factory of circa 1750. A 16ft diameter iron breast wheel in a subterranean wheelhouse remains but the wheel on the far end of the building has disappeared. (1) 18th century corn mill associated with Higham Dairy Farm. Sandstone built, with squared mullioned windows to the front. Tiled roof with 19th century timbers. L-shaped building with 19th century additions. Originally powered by two waterwheels, driving four sets of stones. Only one wheel remains now, an overshot wheel with metal rims and wooden buckets. The dam is at the rear of the building. (2, 3) At an early date there were two water-powered corn mills within the manor, one of which was on the river Amber just to the south of the village of Higham (now Higham Dairy Farm). This may have been constructed during the second half of the 13th century when the economy was stimulated by the granting of a fair. This was the mill referred to in a 'Survey of Part of Scarsdale Hundred, 1657' which states that 'there is in Higham Townshippe one corne milne'. The mill lay on the east bank of the river Amber, with its mill pond just to the north of the mill buildings being served by a goyt which took water from the river about half a mile upstream at Ogston Bridge. The river was straightened when the nearby railway was constructed, so that the mill buildings no longer lie on the river bank. Higham Mill appears to have been substantially rebuilt in the 18th century (some of the beams bear the date 1750) and it continued in use as a corn mill until the end of the 19th century when it was converted into a dairy by the Ogston Estates, marketing local farm milk. It ceased operations as a dairy in 1933 and thereafter reverted to a farm. The first known occupant of the mill is Thomas Bainbridge, who lived there circa 1724. It was later occupied by John Haslam (circa 1736-62) and in 1789 by George Wilcockson. (4) Higham Mill. A corn mill is shown here on Burdett's map of 1767. Insurance records, dating from 1792, value the mill at £100. Built on the River Amber it is a short distance from the village. Frank Nixon reported in 1969 that 'there was a 16ft diameter water wheel on the site' and this is still in place, in a wheelhouse. The pentrough and a length of pipe which fed another wheel also remain. The stone mill building is currently being house-converted and the mill pond, behind the mill, has already been restored. A separate building contains a drying kiln. John Hill, the miller in 1876, was succeeded by F Hill after his death in June 1877 but it is not clear when the mill ceased to operate. (5) "Mill at Higham Dairy Farm. (Listed Grade II). Former candlewick 'bump' mill at Higham Dairy Farm. Dated about 1750, with 19th century additions. Coursed square gritstone." (6) (6) appears to be mistaken on the function of the mill. The 25" OS map of circa 1880 shows Higham Mill as a flour mill, with the bump mill marked some 150m away to the south. See SMR12624. (8) Vernacular building dated to 1750 as seen from date cut into support beam. (7)
- <1> SDR3844 Bibliographic reference: 1975. Council of British Archaeology Panel on Industrial Monuments. p 14.
- <2> SDR11204 Index: NDAT. 2142. 2142.
- <3> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card.
- <4> SDR15826 Bibliographic reference: Turbutt, G. 1977. A History of Shirland and Higham, Derbyshire. p 15; pp 182-183.
- <5> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. C28, p 126.
- <6> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 37.
- <7> SDR23380 Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
- <8> SDR23344 Personal Observation: Groat, N (Derbyshire County Council). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 387 584 (86m by 160m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SHIRLAND AND HIGHAM, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2017 3:59PM