Monument record MDR4896 - Bowling green, Roadnook Farm, Wessington

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

SK 3704 5812 Roadnook Farm, Bowling Green. The former bowling green is now a paddock/orchard. The boundary wall is a mixture of 18th-19th century brick and stone although the entrance has a lintel with an inscribed date of 1655. There was a gazebo in the garden, but there is now no evidence of a such a structure. (1, 2) The garden walls are grade II listed. They date to the 17th century and are constructed from coursed squared sandstone. The walls comprise three tall sandstone walls at right angles to each other. The south wall has a raised quoined doorcase to the west, now blocked. It has flat copings, and is stepped down to the east. The east wall has a quoined doorcase to the north and rounded copings. The west wall is blank with flat copings. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0360. 0360.
  • <2> Article in serial: Prior, C. 1915. 'The Spatemans of Roadnook', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 37.
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE no: 1159019.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3700 5813 (55m by 62m) (Centre)
Civil Parish BRACKENFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 21 2016 2:40PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.