Monument record MDR4976 - Embanked earth circle, Rodknoll Plantation, Brampton
Type and Period (1)
- DISC BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 30186989] Round barrow, in Rodknoll Plantation, with ditch and bank; disturbed by wall builders. Excavated in 1940 and 1953 by Chesterfield Arch. Soc. No finds. (1, 8) Disc barrow in Rodknoll Plantation. Scheduled. (2, 7) Surveyed at 1/2500 at SK 30186986, an embanked earth circle with a probable original entrance on the northern side. The central area is badly disturbed. No ditch visible. (3) Rodknoll plantation, Brampton. The disc barrow has a diameter of 60-65ft and an inner ditch 3ft. deep with a 4ft. high central mound. Although excavated in 1953 no details are available. Immediately to the north are two earth circles, 66ft and 40ft across with no other features. (4) The site is badly mutilated. Marsden thinks it to be 'very doubtfully a ring cairn'. (5) The embanked earth circle as described by Authy 3 is visible on OS APs. Two circular areas of possible quarrying activity which may represent earth circles as described by Authy 4 are also visible in the vicinity. (6) Brampton East Moor ridges have no corresponding concentrations of sites, an indication that areas away from the moor fringes were never fully exploited for open pasture. The eastern fringes of the upper moor differ from those further north in that they are at a lower altitude, being on average below 300m OD. These areas have been totally enclosed by 19th century intakes. It is therefore impossible to guage how extensive prehistoric cairnfields were. (9)
- <1> SDR6147 Personal Observation: F1 DJC 11-MAR-63.
- <2> SDR921 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 23256.
- <3> SDR6610 Personal Observation: F2 JB 02-JUN-66.
- <4> SDR13395 Article in serial: Radley, J. 1966. 'A Bronze Age ringwork on Totley Moor and other Bronze Age ringworks in the Pennines', Archaeological Journal. Volume 123, pp 1-26.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p23.
- <6> SDR1469 Aerial Photograph: 1968. APs (OS 68/217 97-8 14-JUN-68).
- <7> SDR10889 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0406. 0406.
- <8> SDR9132 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. Report from embanked stone circle at Rodknoll Plantation.
- <9> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p18-100, fig 12.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3019 6984 (17m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2015 3:16PM