Monument record MDR521 - Green Low Round Cairn, 523m north of Bettfield Clough, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (3)
- CINERARY URN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- RING CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 0841 8299: Green Low, Round Cairn: A perfect double stone circle on the Ford estate near Chapel-en-le- Frith. The small circle is in the north-eastern quarter of the larger. (1) Greenlow, a tumulus on the Ford Hall Estate, about half a mile north of the house was opened in 1908 by W J Andrew. A cinerary urn, a small cup and two stone implements were found. (3) (The illustration - "by the kindness of Mr F E Gisborne Bagshawe, the present owner of Ford" - shows an overhanging rim urn, an "incense" cup and a stone axe. (?).) This is either the remains of a robbed cairn or, less likely, an eccentric barrow of the pond type. (4) It now consists of an unbroken circular bank average 5.0m wide and 0.6m high with an overall diameter of 22.0m. It is composed of turf covered stones and there is no trace of a ditch. The interior has been scooped out to slightly below outer ground level, and an off circular wall, with an approximate diameter of 6.0m has been exposed. This latter 'circle' is open to the south and was probably connected with the burial rites. No change. (7) (SK 08398299) Stone Circle (Site of). (8). (SK 08398299) Cairn Circle. (9) Round cairn, now destroyed, mistaken before for a double stone circle. It comprised a 5m wide bank, diameter 22m, of stone and turf. The interior had been scooped out somewhat and a sub circualr wall, 6m diameter exposed. Excavation in 1908 by W. J. Andrew yielded a collared urn, and incense cup and two stone implements. (10) Dinmensions: Length: 21.5m, Beradth: 20.0m, Height: 0.7m. The site appears to comprise the stony rim of a robbed barrow with some cairn material remaining in the northern part of the interior. It was described as a "double circle" by Andrew in 1907 and hence has been in its present state since at least this date. Alternatively, but with less conviction, the site can be seen as a ring cairn with internal robbed cairn in the northern half. The rim is 0.7m high throughout which is unusually high for a ring cairn. The internal "ring" is 0.5m downslope and 0.3m upslope, the hole in the interior may be the result of the 1908 excavation. (12) Green Low ringcairn is situated on the northern gritstone moorlands of Derbyshire. The monument includes a roughly circular bank of grassed-over stone and also the features enclosed by this bank which include the disturbed remains of a low mound and a number of pits. The bank stands c.0.5m high and is between 2m and 3m wide. It forms a ring measuring 21.5m by 20m inside which there are two large pits on the south side, each measuring c.1m by 0.75m. North of these, lying slightly off-centre, is a low sub-circular ring of c.6m diameter inside which, at the northern end, is another smaller pit. These are the remains of a mound partially excavated by W J Andrew in 1908 and found to contain a collared urn, two stone implements and an incense cup. Ringcairns date to the Early and Middle Bronze Age and it is not yet clear whether the Bronze Age artefacts recovered by Andrew belong to the period of construction or to a slightly later phase of secondary use. (13).
- <1> SDR940 Bibliographic reference: Andrew, W. 1907. 'The Prehistoric Stone Circles' in Cox, J (ed) Memorials of Old Derbyshire. p 74, 80, 82.
- <2> SDR15807 Bibliographic reference: Tristram, E. 1915. 'The stone circle known as the "Bull Ring" at Dove Holes and the mound adjoining', Derbyshire Archaeology Journal. Vol. 37, pp 77-86. p 85.
- <3> SDR3581 Bibliographic reference: Bunting, W B. 1940. Chapel-en-le-Frith. p 5, photo 18.
- <4> SDR1145 Aerial Photograph: 1953. A.P's: F 22 58/1094/0439-0440.
- <5> SDR12081 Map: 1955. OS 6".
- <6> SDR8344 Article in serial: Longworth, I H. 1961. 'The origins and development of the Primary Series in the Collared Urn tradition in England and Wales', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 27.
- <7> SDR6132 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 27-AUG-65.
- <8> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 27.
- <9> SDR11929 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1980. 1:10 000.
- <10> SDR13949 Index: OS. SK 08 SE 1.. SK 08 SE 1..
- <11> SDR14431 Index: NDAT. 0619.
- <12> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 18:2.
- <13> SDR20447 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1993. Scheduling Notification: Green Low ringcairn.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0840 8298 (22m by 21m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 14 2008 9:57AM