Monument record MDR5221 - The Peel Monument, High Street, Dronfield
Type and Period (2)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Victorian - 1854 AD? to 1854 AD?)
- MARKET CROSS (Stuart to Victorian - 1662 AD? to 1854 AD?)
The old market cross at Dronfield was taken down in 1854 and a monument to Sir Robert Peel was erected on the site. (1) An inscription records that the Peel Monument was erected on the site of the town cross or market cross and stocks. (2) The Monument, erected on the site of the Town Cross at Dronfield, commemorates the repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846. It comprises a simple stone 'Gothic' pinnacle resting on pointed arches, supported by four buttressed corner columns. (3) The focus for Dronfield’s Thursday markets, granted in 1662, was at the junction of High Street and Farwater Lane, where a market cross was erected, although the market stalls probably extended along the High Street. The cross and the village stocks were replaced in 1854 by a gritstone monument to Sir Robert Peel, which commemorates the repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846. It also housed the first public pump in the town. (5, 6) The monument stands at the top of the High Street. It was built of gritstone in 1854 at a cost of £52 on the site of the market cross and stocks. The monumnet is a tribute to Sir. Robert Peel and commemorates the repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846. It housed the original public water pump in the town. Royal Charter had established the Market in 1622 but it fell out of favour in the 18th century due to the close proximity of the markets in Chesterfield and Sheffield. The market was revived in 1980 in the Civic Centre. (7)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 228.
- <2> SDR6408 Personal Observation: F1 JHO 16-DEC-52.
- <3> SDR5239 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dronfield UD Derby April 1960 2.
- <4> SDR10960 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0786. 0786.
- <5> SDR21112 Bibliographic reference: Old Dronfield Society. 1987. Dronfield Local History Trail.
- <6> SDR19944 Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2004. Extensive Urban Survey: Dronfield. Archaeological Assessment Report. p 17, Component 7.
- <7> SDR23399 Bibliographic reference: Old Dronfield Society. 2009. Explore Dronfield: Heritage Trail No. 1 Dronfield Old Town.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3506 7848 (3m by 3m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 8 2015 8:22AM