Until the late 1860s Barlow was merely a parochial chapelry attached to Staveley. Nothing appears to be known about the early history of the chapel and Domesday Book makes no mention of a church at Barlow, but the fabric of the present church indicates that one must have been erected early in the Norman period. The church, which is dedicated to St Lawrence, merely consists of a nave and south porch, with a recent porch. The doorway inside the porch is Norman, as is one of the single light windows in the north wall. When the church was restored 'a few years ago' [1860s?] it was found that much of the masonry of the walls was put together in the rough way common to the Norman period. In pulling down the east end to make way for the chancel, the remains of five small round-headed windows were found, as well as a plain piscina. Norman piscinas are rare and this one has been preserved in the east wall of the vestry. Several traces of fresco painting were uncovered but they did not survive. (1)
St. Lawrence's Church, Barlow, is essentially a Norman church with a chancel added in 1867. (2) In normal use. (3)
A building recording exercise was carried out before and during the demolition of the former vestry at the church, in advance of the construction of a new vestry. The vestry was part of a chancel erected 1867 by S Rollinson. It was found that two pieces of worked stone (grave stones) had been used as building material. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. pp 63-69.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p56.
Bibliographic reference: F1 JB 06-OCT-65.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.