Centred at SK 4094 2670. Apparent enclosure formed by bank and modern boundaries of Donington Park. (1)
Nothing cetain is known of the history of the two enclosures at the north west corner of the park. There is a separate tithe/rent charge on them. It is possible that they represent holdings which have been demarcated by a strong bank and ditch so that they are clearly distinguished from the area of the park. Two enclosures are visible in this area. That shown on the OS 6" 1924 is formed by an L plan length of flat-topped bank, 7.0m wide and c.1.0m high, with a strong outer ditch, 3.0m. wide and 0.5m deep and a weaker inner ditch, c.15m wide and 0.3m. deep. See section on the 25" survey. The area enclosed is on a northern slope at the crest of the river-cliff. The bank continues down the steep cliff to the flood-plain. The western side of the enclosure is formed by the comparatively modern stone wall of Donington Park. There is no evidence that it occupies the line of a former earthern bank and there are no traces of such a bank prolonging the line of the wall down the river-cliff. The second enclosure is formed on the southern side of the previously described enclosure and is very similar though the eastern side is practically levelled and the line of the bank is visible only as a scarping of the slope. The south side is represented by a bank with slight side ditches. The interior of the enclosures is rough grassland with small trees and shrubs. The purpose of these enclosures is obscure. They contain no obvious building-site. There is a 1399/1400 reference to the enclosure of 'a coningry' at Donington Hall - see SK 42 NW 14 - but there are no known analogies to justify the identification of these enclosures with this reference. The profile of their banks and their apparent association with the boundary of the medieval and later deer park justifies the assumption that they are of similar date. One or two large oaks growing on the banks suggest that the enclosures are probably medieval. A 25" survey has been made. (2)
Further earthworks forming part of the complex are visible at SK 4095 2664, and the corner of the large bank has been breeched. Published survey (25" 1961) revised. (3)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4094 2669 (10m by 10m) (Centre)
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2016 12:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.