Grove Farm was built in 1788 as the original manager's home and office of Dale Abbey Ironworks (see also SMR 18712). The ironworks was built in 1788-9 with one blast furnace. A second furnace was added in 1801 but the ironworks went bankrupt in 1805. The foundry was occupied as Grove Farm by 1836, with an iron ore pit nearby. (1)
Shown as 'Furnace House' on Sanderson's map of 1835. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Chapman, S. 1981. Stanton and Staveley, a business history. pp 26-36, 50; photo p 29.
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield. 1-37.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4537 3859 (16m by 27m) (Multiple Site Centre)
STANTON BY DALE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 18 2015 3:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.