Monument record MDR555 - Former Town End Foundry, Sheffield Road, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (3)
- FOUNDRY (Victorian - 1850 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FORGE (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1849 AD?)
- ENGINEERING WORKS (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
Town End Foundry includes a large stone building with two square chimneys. It was formerly a foundry linked to the Peak Forest Tramway. It is now occupied by the Street Crane company . (1) This is a large complex of industrial buildings extending northwest of Sheffield Road, with Peak Forest Tramway trackbed as the western boundary. The older section adjacent to Sheffield Road comprises truncated remnant of a range of stone buildings with pitched roofs. This was formerly Kirk's Ironworks, latterly Chapel-en-le-Frith ironworks, served by a siding off the Peak Forest Tramway. In 1847 most of the site was occupied by a large millpond, bounded by the road and the PFT route. A small building marked as a 'Forge' lay by the roadside, a little way east of the pond. The 1879 OS map shows a range of buildings marked as 'Foundry and Forge' served by a PFT siding and range of buildings west of the earlier Forge. The ironworks expanded, initially along the roadside, then to the rear of the site, this process continuing after closure of the PFT, the site being acquired by engineering concerns. A separate concern occupies the former farmyard buildings in the north west corner of the site, with access across the PFT trackbed beyond the DCC depot boundary wall. (2) Linked to the Peak Forest Tramway, which ran through the yard. (3)
- <1> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 12.
- <2> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature No. 59b.
- <3> SDR22140 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 16.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 064 809 (168m by 155m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 5 2019 8:34PM