Monument record MDR5611 - Cropmarks and ridge and furrow, south of Aston Lane, Shardlow
Type and Period (4)
- PIT ALIGNMENT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARROW (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
SK 434 302 Shardlow, Pit Alignment Feature. Paired pit alignment and linear features showing on an aerial photograph. (1, 2) Cropmarks plotted on map overlay, 1:10,000. (3) Ridge and furrow highlighted in the centre of the cropmarks. (4) North east of Hicken's Bridge, a number of faint cropmark features are visible including, linear pit-alignments, ditches and two faint ring ditches, the latter are of uncertain origin and authenticity. (5) Later prehistoric ditches, a pit alignment and a barrow were all identified as cropmarks within this area on aerial photographs dating to 1964. Medieval ridge and furrow earthworks were also identified in this area, on aerial photographs dating to 1945 and 1969. (6)
- <1> SDR15531 Index: TPAT. 2207. 2207.
- <2> SDR13060 Aerial Photograph: Pickering J. 4330/21 23 67/12/12 18 20.
- <3> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <4> SDR19039 Unpublished document: Powell, A.. 1992. Proposed Service Area, A564 Derby Southern By-pass, Shardlow. Archaeological Assessment.. Stage 1, Desk-Based Ass.. fig 1.
- <5> SDR19038 Unpublished document: Walker, J. 1993. Derby Southern Bypass Archaeological Evaluations. Report on Site Investigations..
- <6> SDR21002 Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
|Grid reference||SK 43211 30076 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SHARDLOW AND GREAT WILNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2016 4:23PM