SK 494338 Nottingham Road, Phoenix Mills. This single storey brick-built tenement lace factory was constructed for the Phoenix Mills Co. Ltd. in 1909 and consists of four bays of north--light roofed buildings on each side of a yard. A two storey shop premises is located at the end of the yard on the Nottingham Road frontage. In multiple use, but the standings of Messrs Joseph Pegg still have Levers lace machines in use. (1)
This single storey tenement complex, planned in 1909, was one of four factories designed by the Long Eaton architect, J E Dodd. It continued to be used for lace making through the 1960s. (2)
Now occupied by Aburnets, industrial knitters and wrapers and Royce Chemicals . (3)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 32.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 284.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 32.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 494 339 (100m by 100m)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:48PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.