No church is mentioned as being extant at Kirk Hallam in the Domesday Book, but one must have been founded shortly afterwards, as it was in existence by the reign of Henry II in the 12th century. The present church, dedicated to All Saints, is a small building, consisting only of chancel, nave and low embattled tower at the west end. On each side of the south entrance there is a piece of Norman beak-head moulding, which formed part of an old chancel arch. The Norman font appears to be only other original relic within the church. It rests on a base of Early English mouldings. There are Decorated and Perpendicular features, but there have been several alterations and restorations carried out during the late 18th and 19th century. (1)
All Saints' Church is a small, aisleless church with Decorated straight-headed chancel windows, sedilia and piscina, There is a Perpendicular west tower that is short and ashlar-faced. Minor restoration work was carried out by G E Street in 1859. A Norman font and two Norman beakheads are preserved in the church. (2)
Church of All Saints. Grade B. Simple medieval church consisting of nave, chancel and west tower; largely 14-15th century. 17th or 18th century altar rails. 12th century font. (4)
A grade I listed parish church dating to the 14th and 15th centuries, with restoration work carried out in the 19th century. It is built of coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings, and has Welsh slate roofs with stone coped gables. It comprises west tower, nave and chancel. Set into the walls of the south porch are two 12th century beakheads. Inside the church is a 12th century circular font with intersecting arcading, set on a 19th century octagonal base. There is also a Decorated piscina and a triple sedilia with cusped tracery. There are monuments dating to the 18th and 19th centuries. There is 19th century stained glass in the three chancel windows. A south nave window dates to 1910, and a north nave window to 1909. The latter is an 'arts and crafts' design of 1910 by Bernard Sleigh of Birmingham. It is one of the very few windows by Sleigh, who was better known as a wood engraver. See list description for more details. (6)
Church piscina has been photographed. (7)
A bell in All Saint's Church is of historical significance considering that it dates from circa 1500. (8)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. pp 213-6.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 260.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-OCT-66.
Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1960. Ilkeston Boro Derby June 1960 2.
Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1986. Dist of Erewash Derby 6 Nov 1986 32.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 352246.
Photograph: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Kirk Hallam church piscina.
Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 45857 40550 (28m by 16m)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 3 2015 10:54AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.