Monument record MDR5858 - St Michael's Church, Church Street, South Normanton
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Victorian - 1066 AD to 1878 AD)
The Church at South Normanton, dedicated to St. Mary but wrongly ascribed to St. Michael in certain modern directories, consists of a nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, and an embattled tower at the west end. 'Though no mention is made in the Domesday Survey… the old doorway on the south side with its semi-circular arch' [shows] …' that a church existed here… when the Norman style of architecture prevailed'. The porch is of the Decorated Period. This, and other fabric makes it evident that the greater part, if not the whole, of the church was rebuilt in the Decorated style, probably temp. Edward II [1307-27.] Since that date the church has undergone many alterations. - The tower is a good specimen of the Perpendicular' … built c. 1440. Pegge attributes a reference of 1220 to South Normanton Church, but gives no source. The church is mentioned in the Taxation Roll of Pope Nicholas in 1291. (1) This church is quite definitely dedicated to St. Michael and I have no knowledge of a previous dedication. (2) The church is in use for public worship. The dedication to St. Michael is used in the church magazine and other notices and literature. (3) No change. (4) Church of St Michael. Parish Church. 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th century, south aisle added and major restoration completed 1878. Grade II*. (5) The bells of St Michael's are of historic significance. The oldest dates from circa 1550 and was made by G & R Heathcote of Chesterfield, and another made by G Oldfield of Nottingham dates from 1654 during the English Civil War. One made by P & Co in 1774 is listed as 'unusual', however, no further information is given. (6)
- <1> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. pp 283-7.
- <2> SDR6487 Personal Observation: F1 WW 07-JUL-59.
- <3> SDR6641 Personal Observation: F2 WW 07-JUL-59.
- <4> SDR6663 Personal Observation: F3 FRH 27-JUL-66.
- <5> SDR5356 Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Bldgs Dist of Bolsover Derby 23 Mar 1989 88.
- <6> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4422 5695 (32m by 21m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 22 2016 3:54PM