Building record MDR5885 - Shirland Lodge, Chesterfield Road, Shirland and Higham

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Shirland Lodge is a 17th century building (said to have been built in 1658). It is a small tall house, unusual in that it is constructed of red brick. It has stone quoins, mullioned windows and a two-storey porch. (1) Lodge Farm, formerly Shirland Lodge, may well have had its origins in medieval days as a park ranger's lodge. It has clearly been rebuilt in the late 17th century and consists of a two-storey brick building rising from a stone plinth (part of which contains a basement), with stone quoins, window surrounds with straight dripstones, copings and ornamental balls. Mining subsidence has badly affected this house in the past, and the old roof timbers have had to be replaced and at least one wall has been rebuilt. Robert Revell, who died in 1555, was described in his Will as 'of Shirland Lodge' and it is probable that his father John, who died in 1537, also lived there. By the early 18th century the house was occupied by Isaac Kirke, a master mason. By c. 1830 the property had become divided into two parts. The north and west range of buildings (with a dwelling house on the northern side, the ruins of which may still be seen in the adjoining field) was the nucleus of a 56 acre holding, while the south and east range, including the old house, was a 118 acre holding. The farmyard appears to have been in combined occupation. By 1876 there was again a single occupant and the second dwelling house had presumably been demolished. (2) A grade II listed farmhouse dating from the mid 17th century, with an 18th century addition and various 20th century alterations. It is constructed of red brick, with diaper work to the south gable wall and the south section of the west facade. It has sandstone foundations, dressings and quoins, and there is coursed sandstone rubble to the northern extension. It has plain tile roofs, and moulded stone copings and kneelers to the gables with ridge ball finials. There is a large central ridge stack with rendered panels to all sides, and a brick side wall stack to the extension. The house comprises three bays plus a single-bay extension. It is of two storeys, plus attics. Inside the house are heavily moulded crossed beams with a central plasterwork boss in the south first floor bedroom. The original staircase was replaced in the 19th century. See list description for more details. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Index: NDAT. 3799. 3799.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Unknown source.
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1108887.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4092 5708 (9m by 20m) (Centre)
Civil Parish SHIRLAND AND HIGHAM, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 2 2015 1:30PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.