SK 4049 6447] Rectory [TI]. (1) A possible moat exists in the rectory grounds (see SMR 10808). (2)
The former rectory is now known as 'Manor House'. The latter name was chosen as a personal whim and is not derived from any known manorial association. The remains of the moat are partly filled in and will be covered by new buildings in the near future. Nothing is known of the history of the house or moat. The former rectory is a large, two-storied building, with north and south wings, built of irregularly-coursed stone. A plaque in the centre eastern wall reads, "NUMMO DEFECIENTE NE PLUS ULTRA, A.D. 1690", but the house has comparatively recent sash windows with surrounds apparently contemporary with the walling and has either been rebuilt or refaced and the plaque re-used. No evidence of a medieval building was seen. A 25" AM survey has been made. (3)
Old Rectory, North Wingfield. Listed as a medieval moated site with fishpond and embanked enclosure with platforms. (5-6) The Rectory, North Wingfield, is a Grade 2 listed building. (7) The Manor House. House c. 1705 with alterations. Mid 19th century. Grade II. (8)
During groundworks in preparation for a new garage and garden store just to the east of the Manor House, the footings of a substantial sandstone wall were identified, with two parallel stone-lined drains. These features probably date to the 18th/19th century. In addition a shallow feature, probably a pit, was encountered, with a single large sherd of 13th or 14th century pottery. This feature probably relates to medieval occupation of the site. (10)
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.