Building record MDR6050 - Blue Bell Inn, North Wingfield
Type and Period (2)
- INN (Tudor to Post Medieval - 1488 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHANTRY CHAPEL (Tudor - 1488 AD to 1488 AD)
A grade II listed public house that was built in the 15th century, but then substantially restored and altered in the 19th and 20th centuries. It is built of coursed squared sandstone of large blocks. It has a Welsh slate roof with 20th century stone gable end stacks. It is of two storeys, and is L-shaped on plan with 20th century single storey brick additions. The north elevation has a pointed gothic arch, the arch dying into the imposts. There is a 20th century glazed door and window set in. The buttress at the north west corner has two slight chamfers. The west elevation has four windows to the ground floor, the right hand one with jambs and a lintel. There is a chamfered stringcourse above, and one window with jambs and lintel above that. Similar fenestration to the south elevation, all with wooden casements. A chantry was founded in 1488. (1) The Blue Bell Inn was formerly a Chantry House and is situated on the south side of the church [SMR 10803]. One end has an exposed Gothic archway and a buttress with two offsets. A chantry was founded here in 1488. (2) Public House on the site of a chantry house established in 1488. A Gothic archway and a buttress with two offsets were exposed in one end, but these were demolished in 1960. Nothing now remains of the structure above ground, though the cellars are bricked up. (3-4)
- <1> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE entry no: 1335464.
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 292.
- <3> SDR11036 Index: NDAT. 1603. 1603.
- <4> SDR11516 Index: NDAT. 3753. 3753.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 40 64 (18m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH WINGFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2018 2:25PM