(Elizabethan to Jacobean - 1600 AD to 1621 AD)
Loading documents & images
SK 409636 Park House, Furnace Site. A plan of 1621 of the Park Hall estate drawn by William Senior for Sir Francis Leeke of Sutton marks a blast furnace and associated dams and goits (but not a forge) on the Rother between Danesmoor and Park Houses. This is the earliest evidence for a furnace on this site, which had presumably been built some time in the previous 20 years. It was operated by George Sitwell of Renishaw in the 1660s but has no later history. By the time of Burdett's map of 1762-7 the site had become a cornmill. The blast furnace may have been the source of slag encountered during the building of nearby Park House Colliery in 1867 [see SMR 11702]. Much of the area around the furnace has been completely altered by opencast coalworking but the site of the furnace itself, where there are slight surface irregularities, does not appear to have been affected by subsequent building, mining or other activities. (1) Source (1) incorrectly lists the site as being in North Wingfield parish. (2)
William Senior's map of 1621 also shows 'Upper Dam' and 'The Nether Dam' ponds to the south of the furnace, with a leat running from The Nether Dam to the furnace complex. There is also a water wheel shown at the furnace. (3)
The site is marked as 'Wingfield Mill' on Sanderson's map of 1835. (4)
By the plan of 1841, 'The Nether Pond' is largely woodland named 'Pond Plantation'. (5) By the first edition 25" OS map of c. 1880, this plantation is known as 'Millholm Plantation'. There are earthwork features marked on this map that are likely to relate to the former mill pond, dam and leat. (6)
By the end of the 19th century the site is known as 'Hagghill Farm'. (7)
The earthworks that are thought to represent the water management features are still visible on modern OS mapping . (8)
Bibliographic reference: Riden, P. 1985. A Gazetteer of Charcoal Blast Furnace Sites in Great Britain in use since 1660.
Verbal communication: Cranstone D 15-Apr-1987 pers comm.
Map: Senior, W. 1621. Plan of Parkhall.
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Map: Wilson, W H. 1841. Plan of the Township of Pilsley in the Parish of North Wingfield in the County of Derby. Traced copy by F Harrison.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXX.7, 1899.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 409 633 (173m by 603m) (Approximate)
PILSLEY, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2020 3:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.