Site record MDR6140 - Staveley Ironworks, Works Road and River Rother, Staveley
Type and Period (5)
- BLAST FURNACE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FORGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FURNACE (Georgian to Unknown - 1783 AD)
- IRON WORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHEMICAL WORKS (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
Staveley Ironworks. A furnace and forge were first mentioned in 1639, leased by the Sitwells in the 1660s-90s, then to the Jennens partnership, then to the Spencer partnership till 1765. It was then leased to Walter Mather in 1783, when the charcoal furnace was replaced by a coke furnace. The remains were destroyed by later industry. (1) Staveley Works, Troughbrook Road. The former main office block (SMR13048) of the Staveley Works is now in multiple occupation, on the east side of Troughbrook Road. Two-storey brick structure with clock tower and turret. Several other blocks (SMR13048) nearby are also in multiple use following the cessation of iron and steel manufacture and the contraction of the site to Staveley Chemicals. (6) Cottages and model village community areas for the Staveley Coal & Iron Co. were desgined by Raymond Unwin around 1896. It is unclear if these areas are still extant around the site of the ironworks. (7)
- <1> SDR13533 Bibliographic reference: Riden, P. 1985. A Gazetteer of Charcoal Blast Furnace Sites in Great Britain in use since 1660.
- <2> SDR7228 Article in serial: Hopkinson, G G. 1961. 'The charcoal iron industry in the Sheffield region 1500-1775', 'Transaction of the Hunter Archaeol. Soc.. Volume 8 (parts 1 to 3), pp 122-151.
- <3> SDR3911 Bibliographic reference: Chapman, S. 1981. Stanton and Staveley, a business history. pp 12-17.
- <4> SDR13409 Article in serial: Raintrich A and Allen E. Economic History Review The South Yorkshire Ironmasters (1690-1750). Volume 9.
- <5> SDR13542 Article in serial: Riden P. George Sitwells Letterbook 1985 Vol 10 Derbys Record Soc.
- <6> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire.
- <7> SDR23542 Bibliographic reference: Gray, A. 1985. Edwardian Architecture, a biographical dictionary.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 415 749 (1718m by 650m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 24 2019 2:37PM