Site record MDR6296 - Romano-British settlement (site of), Sherwood Lodge, Old Bolsover
Type and Period (6)
- PIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HEARTH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- IRON WORKING SITE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
In 1992, in advance of the development of the site for the new District Council offices, evaluations by trenching and geophysical analysis identified part of a Romano-British settlement. In 1993 excavations identified an area of Romano-British activity largely contained within a ditched enclosure. The earliest Romano-British activity was represented by shallow interrupted gullies and a broad pit dug into bedrock. The pit contained Derbyshire Ware and Dales Ware dated no later that the third century AD. The enclosure represented the next phase: a shallow irregularly-sided ditch or palisade trench dug approximately north-south and cutting the earlier gullies. Stakeholes were found in the base of the ditch. The fill of the ditch contained Nene Valley mortaria. Inside the enclosure industrial activity contained in hearth pits, gullies and cuts were found containing metallic residues - including slag and hammerscale. Sherds of mortarium and Parisian Ware in certain features date to no later than 23 0-300AD. Other features contained Parisian Ware of the late second - early third century, Mancetter-Hartshill mortaria no later than the third century, and hammerhead mortaria no later than the late second, early third century. Second to fourth century pottery was recovered from the final phase deposit, along with animal bone and iron nails, and iron working residues. This layer is interpreted as a rubbish dump for the other parts of the enclosure. (1-3)
- <1> SDR598 Unpublished document: Wall, I (Creswell Heritage Trust). 1992. Sherwood Lodge, Bolsover, archaeological evaluation: report on trial excavation. 13.
- <3> SDR683 Article in serial: Jones, A (BUFAU). 1995. 'Sherwood Lodge, Bolsover, Archaeological Investigations 1992-3', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 115, pp 84-106.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4741 7068 (23m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD BOLSOVER, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 14 2020 7:53PM