Building record MDR6300 - Kent House and site of outbuildings, Main Road, Ridgeway
Type and Period (3)
Kent House is a handsome 16th or 17th century house of two storeys with gabled projecting wings and stone mullioned windows with drip-moulds. Listed, Grade 2. (1) Kent House survives in unchanged condition but is now [in 1965] used as a primary school. See GP's AO/53/13/1 and 2. (2) An early 17th century H-plan house, with some windows altered but still an impressive house of the period. (3) Kent House was originally a farmhouse with associated outbuildings. The present building dates from about 1650. In 1762 it was tenanted by Joseph Hutton, a prominent Ridgeway sicklesmith. Following the First World War, the villagers agreed to purchase Kent House as a memorial to those men from Ridgeway who had been killed. The house and farm (known as the Old Fold) was converted and used in connection with the Sports and Community Centre. However, in 1987 the property went on the market with a view to it becoming a dwelling again. (5) Nine samples were taken from timbers in the house in order to carry out tree ring dating. Results indicated two probable felling phases, with group A (from the main area of the house) giving a combined felling date range of 1602 to 1646, and group B (from a wing of the house) giving a date of winter 1646/7. It was suggested that group A timbers were used in the initial construction of the house shortly after felling in the period 1602 to 1646, while the group B timbers imply that the wing of the house was constructed, or roof alterations/repairs were necessary, shortly after the winter of 1646/7. (6)
- <1> SDR8392 Bibliographic reference: M.H.L.G. (1994/11/A, May 1962) p.18.
- <2> SDR6323 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 22-NOV-65.
- <3> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 309.
- <4> SDR10970 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). 0806. 0806.
- <5> SDR21210 Bibliographic reference: Henry Spencer & Sons, Sheffield. 1987. Sale Catalogue: Kent House, Main Road, Ridgeway, Sheffield.
- <6> SDR21015 Bibliographic reference: University of Sheffield. Sheffield Dendrochronology Laboratory Results Sheet. August 1989.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4027 8174 (59m by 50m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2015 2:08PM