Site record MDR6314 - Cropmark complex and artefact scatter, Pasture Lane, Long Eaton
Type and Period (3)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- ENCLOSURE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Lower Palaeolithic to Roman - 500000 BC to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Crop marks at Long Eaton photographed from the air by J Pickering in 1962 include a large roughly circular enclosure with entrances on opposite sides (37.37a, 38.38a), a double ditched, more rectangular enclosure, one apparently joined to the other (37a, 38a), a possible ring ditch with a central mark (38a), and various other indistinct marks. (1-4) Transcription of aerial photograph features shows the corner of an enclosure, together with other possible features including a series of pits. (5) Some artefacts were collected in summer 1995, including microliths, burnishers, an amber tube, a small sherd of Samian and a slate honestone. Recovered finds include 3rd century AD Romano-British pottery sherds and a Viking age whetstone perforated for a thong attachment made from a Norwegian stone source. In addition, 124 recognisable struck flints were recovered. (6, 9) Collection of finds from site includes prehistoric (undiagnostic) flintwork and Roman pottery. The latter has been seen by Liddle and includes Mortaria (two white mid-2nd-4th century Mancetter, and one terracotta and grey sandwich, Swanpool), Samian (rim sherd, class 18/31 -32 Central Gaul, and another rim sherd 18/31 Central Gaul 1260-160AD with rivet damage), Colour-coated Ware (one from Nene Valley), Greyware (one rim sherd, 3rd-4th century and one flagon 3rd-4th century Swanpool), as well as six other greyware pieces. Other finds include a turquoise glass bead, and more greyware collected from near water's edge at a later date. (7) Site visited by A. Myers and D. Barrett on 17th May 1996 where mortaria, other pot and worked flint were found. (8)
- --- SDR24413 Unpublished document: Moore, B and C Scott (Solstice Heritage). 2019. Land at Spring Lakes Water Sport Centre, Long Eaton, Derbyshire: Archaeological Evaluation.
- <1> SDR5813 Article in serial: Whitehead, S. 1974. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 10.
- <2> SDR1477 Aerial Photograph: Pickering, J. 1962. Aerial photographs: 37, 37a, 38, 38a.
- <3> SDR15762 Index: Trent Valley Archaeological Research Committee (TVARC). 1980. Trent Valley Archaeological Research Committee Gazetteer: 4.
- <4> SDR1029 Aerial Photograph: National Monuments Record (English Heritage). Aerial photograph: NMR SK5032/1.
- <5> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <6> SDR19640 Unpublished document: Truman, J (University of Nottingham). 1995. Letter to the SMR, with sketch of honestone, August 21st, 1995.
- <7> SDR6695 Correspondence: Anon. 1996. Personal communication regarding finds at Cranfleet site of Pasture Lane, June and July, 1996.
- <8> SDR12814 Personal Observation: Myers, A. Personal observation regarding artefact scatteroff Pasture Lane.
- <9> SDR22414 Article in serial: Palfreyman, A. 2013. 'Cranfleet Flints Assemblage, Long Eaton, Derbyshire' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 133, pages 114-118.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 50480 32067 (262m by 394m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 4:48PM