Monument record MDR6399 - Enclosure (site of), possible Iron Age coin(s) and Roman pottery, Steetley Farm
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Roman to Late Iron Age - 43 AD to 42 AD)
- None recorded
An oval depression, comparable in size with the Scratta enclosure [SK 57 NW 1] was noticed in 1960 at SK 5428 7925. A number of worn stones were found nearby and thought to be the remains of six hut circles. A scatter of 1st - 4th century sherds was recovered from the ploughed surface (SK 5429 7926). Other finds from the field include a whetstone, bones and teeth. An Iron Age bronze coin of Gallo-Belgic E type (circa 50BC-25BC) with plain obverse and reverse of a disjointed horse found at SK 54467925. D F Allen identified it as the bronze core of a gold forgery; the gold plating having disappeared. (1-4) Mr White confirms the above but could add no further information. There is no suface indication at the given site. (5) Listed by Challis and Harding as an oval enclosure with six hut circles, pottery and coin (Iron Age). (6) (SK 545793) A gold Iron Age coin, identified as Gallo-Belgic D is listed, from close to the Romano-British settlement as Whitwell. The source of information is D F Allen's Gazetteer of Find-Spots of Celtic Coins in Britain (deposited in Heberden Coin Room, Ashmolean Museum, Oxford). (7) Pottery included Derbyshire Ware and Cantley Ware. (8) Additional sources. (9-12)
- <1> SDR8214 Bibliographic reference:
- <2> SDR7969 Article in serial: Jackson, M (East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists). 1960. East Midlands Archaeology Bulletin, 1960. 2.
- <3> SDR5682 Article in serial: 1961. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, No. 5.
- <4> SDR5695 Article in serial: White. E. Midland Arch. Bull. 1962, 5, 7.
- <5> SDR6401 Personal Observation: F1 JB 29-OCT-65.
- <6> SDR2441 Monograph: Challis, A & Harding, W. 1975. 'Later Prehistory from the Trent to the Tyne', British Archaeological Report 20. Part 2. p53.
- <7> SDR15088 Bibliographic reference: C. Haselgrove. 1977.
- <8> SDR11143 Index: NDAT. 1982. 1982.
- <9> SDR11141 Index: NDAT. 1979. 1979.
- <10> SDR11145 Index: NDAT. 1984. 1984.
- <11> SDR5865 Bibliographic reference:
- <12> SDR16318 Correspondence: Bassetlaw Museum. 2015. Correspondence regarding archaeological material previously held in 'Worksop Museum' (Bassetlaw Museum), April 17th, 2015. Email.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 5437 7926 (190m by 20m) (Centred on)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:39PM