(Tudor to Georgian - 1540 AD to 1808 AD)
Loading documents & images
A post-medieval structure, the west face of which has three rafter holes cut into it and several smaller holes. The Hathersage Enclosure Act shows detail of this structure, therefore the structure must date to before this time. (3)
A close examination of the Buck Stone shows that it was once the centre of a homestead of some kind. There are at least three rafter sockets and several lesser socket holes as well as grooves cut to carry away rain-water. The surface of the ground has been levelled to take a small hut, lean-to or house. Another structure used the Buck Stone as one wall. The rock has been modified to take the top of a roof. A human figure has been cut into the top of the Buck Stone with the same weathering and tooling as on the rain gullies and other carved features. The Hathersage Enclosure Act of 1808 records the enclosure in which it stands as an 'Old Enclosure', and the enclosure itself includes a large permanent spring. A series of pack-horse roads descend from Stanage Pole and High Neb, converging on the Buck Stone before descending to Hathersage. It is likely that any buildings at Buck Stone would be related to this road and may have been a beer-house and/or watering place for packmen and packhorses. (4)
The Buck Stone is a large natural boulder that has acted as a focal point for past activity. It lies within a large irregular enclosure defined by a ruined drystone wall. This was preceded by two much smaller enclosures, one to the south-east and one to the north of the stone. These enclosures are associated with two wooden buildings that stood against the Buck Stone, both identifiable from changes in ground level and from various holes and grooves cut into the vertical sides of the stone. There is also a terraced platform cut into the slope against the northern and western side of the stone which may be the site of a larger building, not reconstructable from the cut features on the stone. The flat top of the stone was clearly well-used, for as well as drip grooves round all four edges, there are crude cut steps and a platform to allow access to the top. The western side may have had a hand rail. Near the centre of the top is an unusual carving of a human figure in primitive 'stick-man' style, cut deeply into the rock. The function of the earlier enclosures and buildings is unknown. It is possible that they were for sheep management. However, in view of the location against a major hollow-way, they may be related to an overnight stopping point, or possibly even have been a small inn. (5)
Index: Fifield, P. W.. Peak Park Treasures E39. E39.
Article in serial: Radley, J. 1966. 'Who lived at the Buck Stone?', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. Volume 31(3), p 19.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1991. The North Lees Estate, Outseats, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1991. Feature A1, p 1.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2314 8469 (141m by 174m) (Centre)
OUTSEATS, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.