Monument record MDR6762 - Stoke Sough, New Road and Main Road, Stoke
Type and Period (1)
- DRAINAGE LEVEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A drainage sough begun in c. 1720-22 and heading west towards the east range of Hucklow Edge vein, through gritstone and shale. By 1732 the sough had reached the Stoke Engine shaft, a distance of some 3,500 ft. By 1736 the sough had reached the shale/limestone contact at 5000 ft. It is estimated that by the year 1738 the cost of the sough lay at £11-12000. The sough was dammed up in 1738-47, when it was reopened it had a north branch to Ladybower possessions by 1755, along the old Edge vein. The sough reached Ladywash north cast vein via the Stoke New Engine Mine by 1770. The sough was then continued to the Broadlow mine where it terminated. There were several small branches. All work ceased on the sough by 1804, at a total cost of £35000, according to Fevey. (1) There is a well preserved entrance to the sough, constructed of dressed gritstone dated c. 1722, the sough is accessable for a great distance, and there are few sough arches left in the country as a whole. The sough tail and adjacent bathhouse was refurbished by PPJPB 1989. Photographic record. (5) Stoke Sough is an arched sough entered via a short bolt entrance and leading to one of the major soughs of the region; a long section is open, but contains bad air. Above there are two large ventilation shaft hillocks. (6)
- <1> SDR16407 Article in monograph: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History & Gazetteer of the Lead Mine Soughs of Derbyshire.
- <2> SDR16884 Index: Rieuwerts, J. 1988. Peak Park Treasures C107. C107.
- <3> SDR9198 Bibliographic reference: Bagshawe. Manuscript in Sheffield City Library.
- <4> SDR9196 Bibliographic reference: MS : Chatsworth House.
- <5> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 13215.1.
- <6> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. p 55, site no. 38.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2387 7666 (284m by 70m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 16 2013 11:45AM