Scheduled Monument record MDR6811 - Padley Hall medieval Great House, Padley Manor Farm
Type and Period (3)
- GREAT HOUSE (Demolished 1650, Tudor to Unknown - 1500 AD)
- CULTIVATION TERRACE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Padley Manor House, Quadrangular building. The foundations of the N. and W. ranges and, above ground, the Hall range, survive; the latter converted in 1933 into a R.C. chapel (now a listed buildng, see SMR 7407) The Hall was 32 by 17ft. in size and above it on the upper floor lay the original Chapel. (3-4) For the hall situated at SK 2468 7895, see G.P's A.O. 65/96/4 & 5. The "foundations" (max. ht. 3.0m) are clearly visible See G.P.A.O. 66/4/1. Surveyed at 1/2500. (5) Padley Hall was a quadrangular house of C.14 and C.15. With the exception of the S. range only the foundations and lower parts of the walls remain. The S. range is comparatively complete; it contained the main entrance flanked by offices on the ground floor; above is the chapel, long desecrated but now restored to its original purpose. It retains much of the old roof with angels at the feet of the principals. The W. portion of the upper storey may have been the solar. The house is associated with stirring events during the Elizabethan persecution and in 1588 two priests were arrested here and martyred at Derby and the Fitzherberts who resided here were fiercely persecuted and oppressed. The doorways and some of the window are ancient. (6) Scheduled. The scheduled area includes the standing and buried remains of Padley Hall and an area of associated cultivation terraces to the immediate north of the hall. The former gatehouse to the hall is used as a Roman Catholic Chapel (SMR 7407) and is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath is scheduled. (7)
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR7903 Article in serial: 1939. 'Excursions and addresses .. 3rd excursion .. Padley Chapel', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 60, p 197.
- <3> SDR7901 Article in serial: Williamson, F. 1933. 'Padley Chapel', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 54, p 6.
- <5> SDR6108 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 18-NOV-65.
- <6> SDR5536 Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR)Bakewell RD, Derby, July 1963, 36..
- <7> SDR18176 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Notification. 29799. Cat. No.: 390.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2471 7899 (146m by 95m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||GRINDLEFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 12 2019 11:52AM