Monument record MDR6911 - Round barrow, Offerton Moor, Offerton
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Another large cairn, dug into in 1862 by Bagshawe who found burnt bone, charcoal and flint arrowheads. (1) This cairn is a bowl barrow with a large central disturbance, presumably as a result of old excavations (Bagshawe?). At the south west edge is a low platform measuring approximately 6m by 3.5m in plan. This may be a purposeful peripheral platform or could just as likely be natural. No source can be found in Sheffield City Museum for the excavation (postulated by Marsden) by bagshawe in 1862. It may also be one of the sites excavated by Pennington (7), or in the 18th century. (10) The cairn lies within an extensive cairnfield (SMR 11106). Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (11)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <3> SDR16546 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1987. 'Bronze Age settlement on the East Moors of the Peak District of Derbyshire & S. Yorkshire', PPS. Volume 53.
- <4> SDR17266 Index: NDAT. 1610. 1610.
- <5> SDR17268 Index: NDAT. 1609. 1609.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p81.
- <7> SDR16548 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', The Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p 384. p394.
- <8> SDR12600 Bibliographic reference: Pennington, R. 1877. Notes on the Barrows and Bone Caves of Derbyshire.
- <9> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 30:2.
- <10> SDR16550 Article in serial: Rooke, H. 1785. 'A further account of some Druidical remains in Derbyshire', Archaeologia. Volume 7.
- <11> SDR22269 Unpublished document: Bell, S (PDNPA). 2008. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Two round cairns 750m south west of Offerton House.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2067 8062 (11m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OFFERTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 3:38PM