Monument record MDR7096 - Cropmarks and artefact scatter, Catton
Type and Period (3)
- ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Undated)
- None recorded
A small D-shaped enclosure with an entrance and a curved linear feature, visible on air photographs. (1-2) There is nothing visible on Royal Air Force aerial photographs taken in 1970. (3) A flint and pottery scatter were found in the same field as the cropmarks during fieldwalking by South Derbyshire Archaeology Survey. (4) The enclosure recorded by authority one was identified as a cropmark on aerial photographs and was considered to be a post medieval quarry, seen as one medium size (4-15m) amorphous negative feature. Centred at SK 2089 1624. (5) Possible cropmark boundary of unknown medieval date seen as a single linear feature defined by 1 ditch, with a maximum length of 80m. Mapped using good quality aerial photographs. Centred at SK 2074 1614. (6)
- <1> SDR17518 Index: TPAT. 2156. 2156.
- <2> SDR17517 Aerial Photograph: Pickering, J (National Monuments Record, English Heritage). 1970. Aerial photograph A/266, NMR AP 2016/1.
- <3> SDR17526 Aerial Photograph: R.A.F.. 1948. (RAF 541/28 4073-4 17. 5. 48).
- <4> SDR17519 Index: SDAS. SDAS Archive Box 4.
- <5> SDR17527 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey:921481. 921481. p 38.
- <6> SDR17554 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 929917. 929917. pp 123-4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2082 1610 (10m by 10m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CATTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||WALTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 13 2013 4:01PM