St George's Church of 1842 by Stevens. Good honest simple Gothic Revival. West tower with the recessed spire usual in the Perpendicular style of this part of the county. Aisle arcades with octagonal piers. Two stained glass windows by Morris & Co. Interior includes an incised alabaster slab to John Frances, knight in armour, c. 1375. The previous church stood further south (see SMR 27104). (1, 2)
St George's parish church, 1842, by Stevens of Derby and a good example of his work. The tower and spire seem to be based on Repton. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 341.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(b).2, with photo.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3513 2410 (35m by 21m) (Centre)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2011 4:33PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.