Scheduled Monument record MDR7303 - Swarkestone Lows Beaker Settlement, Lowes Lane, Swarkestone
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT ? (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
Excavation of Barrow 4 in 1956 revealed that it overlay a Beaker settlement site. This contained Western Neolithic pottery and quantities of Beaker sherds and flint artefacts mainly of Neolithic and Bronze Age date but including some Mesolithic types. A large number of stake-holes and post-holes were identified - a total of 262, representing complex patterns and shapes, were found throughout the excavated area. Two distinctive groups were recognised, and considered to represent structures for probably totally different purposes. (3-4)
- <1> SDR17813 Index: TPAT. 2069. 2069.
- <2> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 103.
- <3> SDR17814 Article in serial: Greenfield, E. 1956. The second Bronze Age round barrow at Swarkeston: Part 1, Interim Report. Volume 76, pp 34-39.
- <4> SDR7352 Article in serial: Greenfield, E. 1960. The Excavation of Barrow 4 at Swarkeston.
- <5> SDR17810 Aerial Photograph: Pickering, J.. 1971. 3629/1-6,8,11;Slides 390-1 (22/7/1971).
- <6> SDR17811 Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force (RAF). 1945. Aerial photograph: 26/8/1945 NO 4062.
- <7> SDR17808 Article in serial: Hughes, R. 1961. 'Archaeological sites in the Trent Valley, South Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81, pp149-150.
- <8> SDR18668 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2001. Scheduling Notification: Swarkestone Lows Round Barrow Cemetery. 29971. Cat. No.: 41.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3686 2948 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SWARKESTONE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2020 9:12AM