Scheduled Monument record MDR7304 - Swarkestone Lows Barrow 4, Lowes Lane, Swarkestone
Type and Period (3)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- CREMATION (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 1001 BC)
Barrow 4 in the Swarkestone group. (1) Excavated by E. Greenfield in 1956. The primary barrow was a small bowl barrow without a ditch, visible as a low mound composed of turves. It contained a primary burial although there was no trace of a skeleton. A flint knife was found resting on a dark stain, the latter indicating the presence of wood. The primary barrow was later completely covered by a second bell barrow of oval shape, surrounded by berm and ditch. It was similarly composed of turves. Flints and pottery sherds of various dates were recovered from the secondary barrow. There was a secondary deposit of a collared urn and a cremation. It is possible that a further 2 cremation burials were destroyed by a later robber trench. The primary barrow was ascribed to the Early Bronze Age and the secondary barrow to the Middle Bronze Age. The robber trench, possibly post-medieval, contained Neolithic, Beaker and Iron Age sherds, flint flakes and arrowheads, animal bones and a possible Iron Age pit. The primary barrow was found to overlie a Beaker occupation site (SMR 27006). (3-4) Cropmark and earthwork barrow of Bronze Age date seen as a subcircular enclosure, diameter 30m, defined by 1 ditch. Centred at SK 3686 2948. (8)
- <1> SDR17813 Index: TPAT. 2069. 2069.
- <2> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 103.
- <3> SDR17814 Article in serial: Greenfield, E. 1956. The second Bronze Age round barrow at Swarkeston: Part 1, Interim Report. Volume 76, pp 34-39.
- <4> SDR7352 Article in serial: Greenfield, E. 1960. The Excavation of Barrow 4 at Swarkeston.
- <5> SDR17810 Aerial Photograph: Pickering, J.. 1971. 3629/1-6,8,11;Slides 390-1 (22/7/1971).
- <6> SDR17811 Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force (RAF). 1945. Aerial photograph: 26/8/1945 NO 4062.
- <7> SDR17808 Article in serial: Hughes, R. 1961. 'Archaeological sites in the Trent Valley, South Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81, pp149-150.
- <8> SDR17841 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 313008. 313008. pp 882-6.
- <9> SDR18668 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2001. Scheduling Notification: Swarkestone Lows Round Barrow Cemetery. 29971. Cat. No.: 41.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3685 2946 (27m by 27m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SWARKESTONE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2020 6:30PM