Monument record MDR7326 - Windmill (site of), Chellaston Hill
Type and Period (1)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
(SK 380 296) Windmill symbol depicted on 1836 OS map. (1) (SK 3807 2963) Shown as 'Windmill (Flour)' on the map of 1887. (2) Windmill not depicted on the 1924 edition - the site is shown as the corner of an enclosed field immediately south of Mount House. (3) By 1982 Mount House had been renamed Mill House. (4) Chellaston Mill stood in the grounds of Mount House on Chellaston Hill overlooking Swarkestone. It was a brick tower mill, probably built about 1827 for a Captain William Manfull, who was born at nearby Calke in 1773. Following his retirement from the Light Dragoons he took up farming and had this windmill built in the village, close to the existing Swarkestone Mill. He is listed as being the miller from 1829-1841. A sketch of 1889 of both windmills has this mill in the background, apparently in working order with four shuttered sails and a fantail. There is no suggestion of a chimney that might indicate it to be engine-assisted. It was shown as still working on the OS map of 1887 but was 'old' in 1899 and had disappeared from later maps. There is no evidence of the mill on the site in 1995; however, there are still two complete grey stones set in the lawn and path of the house. (6)
- <1> SDR17379 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1836. One Inch First Edition map, sheet 71 first issued 1836, later revisions (David and Charles reprint sheet 35). 1inch : 1mile.
- <2> SDR17857 Map: OS. 1887. OS County Series 1:10560, Sheet Derbys LVIII NW. 1887. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR17859 Map: OS. 1924. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LVIII NW. Edition of 1924, revised 1920. 1:10560.
- <4> SDR17860 Map: OS. 1982. OS 1:10000 1982. 1:10000.
- <5> SDR17874 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Project: 922904. 922904. p985-6.
- <6> SDR19226 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 2003. Derbyshire Windmills Past and Present. pp 47-48, illust..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3807 2963 (13m by 13m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SWARKESTONE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 3:18PM