[SK 1643 3771] CUBLEY HALL [G.T.] (Site of). (1)
The ancient Hall of Cubley, for several generations the chief seat of the Montgomeries, was pulled down about the beginning of the 18th century. It was situated a short distance to the west of the church where the water-filled oval-shaped moat has traces of a rampart on the inside of the ditch. The Montgomery family possessed Cubley as early as 1160, the last male heir dying in 1513. They had a park here. (2-4)
Moat surveyed at 1/2500. It is normally dry. The island interior is disturbed but no building remains are visible. (5)
Prominent mound and ditch, said to be the dwelling site of the Montgomery family. It remains well defined despite normal farming activities in and around the area [in 1970]. (6)
There is no trace of a structure within the interior of the moat, which has been partly cut into a natural west-facing slope, leaving the west bank of the island circa 2.0m above the surrounding exterior level. Measuring overall circa 60m east to west by circa 75m transversely, the arms average circa 20m in width, circa 2.5m maximum depth, and are dry. The south bank of the interior has been spread, giving a reduced effect to the width of the south arm. The moat was stream fed, evidently by a connecting channel at the north-west corner. Retaining banks are visible on the west and south arms. No local knowledge was gained regarding "Cubley Park" (Authorities 2 to 4) and tithe/enclosure maps were not available. Enquiries of the farm (SK 1718 3720) were negative regarding the origin of the name. (7)
Scheduled in 1994. (10)
Cubley Hall. Only the remains of a moat by the church mark the site of the chief seat of the distinguished Domesday family of Montgomery, the last of whom died without male issue in 1513, when this portion of his estate passed to Sir Thomas Giffard of Chillington, Staffs. By c. 1580 it had passed from his heiress via Sir John Porte of Etwall to Sir Thomas Stanhope of Elvaston, in whose descendants estate it remained until the present century. Its last inhabitant was a Stanhope dowager in the later 17th century, and it was pulled down around 1700. The house was reputedly timber framed and some of the materials were allegedly used to refurbish Somersal Herbert Hall, although this seems unlikely. (11)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p. 85.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 16422 37710 (89m by 113m)
CUBLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 20 2017 11:09AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.