Monument record MDR7432 - Field system and cairnfield, Big Moor, Baslow and Bubnell and Holmesfield
Type and Period (5)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- EMBANKMENT (Middle Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 701 BC) + Sci.Date
- ENCLOSURE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- LINEAR CLEARANCE CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- PIT (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC to 4001 BC) + Sci.Date
Some 141-164 cairns ranging from 1.5m-10 by 8.5m diameter. One free standing cist (SMR 1379). Below the escarpment to the east are 4 groups of irregular or subrectangular small enclosures. One, Swine Sty (SMR1378) plus odd cairns. There appears to be some chronological depth. Above the escarpment, there are similar areas, 2 or 3 with irregular subrectangular and long thin parallel fields, again with chronological depth. The central area has linear clearances/fragmentary walls with what appears to be original breaks. There is no sign of later destruction. several of the boundaries have unexplained kinks in them that may reflect the one time presence of timber buildings. (1) Discusses the radiocarbon dates from the 1983 excavation of junction between 2 earthen field banks. Also mentions the C14 date for a Late Mesolithic pit found under the bank.(4) No mention given of the flint rod found in the bank during the excavation - above the pit! (5) Details of survey (6) Photographic record and sketch plan (7-8)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR18050 Bibliographic reference: Walsh, T.. 1976. Walsh 1976. P47, fig 16.
- <3> SDR18051 Photograph: PPJPB. Photo:PPJPB:SMR:1376.18-21 (Slides). Slides.
- <4> SDR18418 Article in serial: Barnatt, J (PPJPB). 1995. 'Neolithic and Bronze Age radiocarbon dates from the Peak District: a review', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 115, pp 5-19. p.11-12.
- <5> SDR17995 Verbal communication: Myers, A. 1983. Personal Observation.
- <6> SDR18425 Unpublished document: Ainsworth, S & Barnatt, J. 1998. An Archaeological Survey of the Scheduled Landscape on Big Moor and Ramsley Moor.
- <7> SDR19161 Unpublished document: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Parish file. Sketch plan: Butcher, 1-24.
- <8> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1984: 1376.1-18.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2710 7540 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 31 2017 11:30AM