Row of cottages dating from 17th, 18th and 19th centuries with 20th century alterations. One Pair, one single plus row of 5 (now 2) cottages (1)
Pair of cottages. Mid C18, late C19 and C20. Coursed squared sandstone and ashlar. Chamfered plinth and flush quoins. Stone slate roof with ashlar gable stacks and brick ridge stack. Two storeys. North elevation of five bays. Right hand cottage is double fronted and has two stone steps up to a central doorway with stone lintel and quoins, and half glazed door. Flanked by 2-light casement windows in chamfered ashlar surrounds. Three similar windows above. Cottage to the left has three stone steps up to the doorway with stone lintel and jambs and bracketed stone hood. Half glazed door. Datestone above with rounded top, inscribed with the dates 1753 and 1971. To the left are two 2-light casements with chamfered ashlar surrounds. Two similar windows above.
Duck Row is a range of cottages built between the 17th and 19th centuries with alterations in the 20th century. They are built from ashlar, squared sandstone and rubble sandstone with stone slate roofs. They are all two storeys high.
The eastern pair of cottages was originally 5 but has been converted into 2. They have an irregular north elevation of ten bays, the ground floor having a single light window with stone surround, a 19th century 2-light casement set in a former doorway with stone jambs and lintel inscribed G.E.S.1709. To the left is a doorway with a stone lintel and a 20th century half glazed door, three 19th century 2-light casements under stone lintels, a single light window at half height, a blocked doorway, 19th century 2-light casements, a 20th century window set in a former doorway and a single light casement. On the second floor there are five 2-light 19th century casements above and a single light window in a stone surround.
The central cottage has a north elevation of four bays, the doorway is off-centre with an ashlar surround and bracketed hood with a plank door. To the left is a 2-light chamfered mullion window. To the right a full height canted bay of 1-2-1 lights, with moulded cornice and a hipped roof with a stone finial. To the right of this is a 3-light chamfered mullion window. The first floor has two 2-light chamfered mullion windows, the upper part of the canted bay and a 3-light chamfered mullion window.
The western pair of cottages have a chamfered plinth and flush quoins. The north elevation is of five bays. The right hand cottage is double fronted and has two stone steps up to a central doorway with stone lintel and quoins, and half glazed door which is flanked by 2-light casement windows in chamfered ashlar surrounds. There are three similar windows above. The left hand cottage has three stone steps up to the doorway with a stone lintel and jambs and a bracketed stone hood, the door is half glazed. There is a datestone above with a rounded top, inscribed with the dates 1753 and 1971. To the left of the doorway are two 2-light casements with chamfered ashlar surrounds and two similar windows above. (2)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1334755, 1088142 and 1334756.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2411 7103 (58m by 27m) (Centre)
PILSLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:21AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.