Building record MDR7788 - Former Congregational Church, Green Lane, Belper

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The first Congregational Chapel was built as an Independent chapel in 1799, a building 41ft square, on the same site as the present church. This first chapel was extended in 1817. (1) The Congregational Church on Green Lane is a Gothic style (French influence) Grade II building built in 1872, replacing an earlier church of 1790. It is a large stone church with a steeply pitched slate roof and a tower with a spire above the porch at the south west corner, standing high above the street at the top of the junction with Field Lane. (2) The railed wall and gate piers along the western churchyard boundary at the Congregational Church on Green Lane are Grade II late 19th century structures. (3) Belper Congregational Church on Green Lane, complete with schoolroom, was built in 1872, replacing an older chapel of 1780. It seats up to 6000 and the interior was refurbished in 1886. The church is redundant at the time of writing [1995]. (4) Due to a declining congregation and poor maintenance, the church was added to the Buildings at Risk register in c. 1978. Permission to demolish was refused. The church was sold by auction in 1990 and again in 1998. A condition study and photographic survey were carried out in 2000 as part of a move to find a new use for the church. The study identified the architect of the church as George Woodhouse, one of Lancashire's foremost architects. (5) The site of an 18th century chapel that was demolished to make way for the existing Congregational Church. The construction of the new hall for the church disturbed 20 burials. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Willott, C. 1894. Belper and its People.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1335299.
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 6/3447/084.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Jewell, R. 1995. Images of Belper and Ambergate.
  • <5> Unpublished document: Adam Bench Architects. 2000. Congregational Church, Belper, Derbyshire. Volume I: Condition Survey & Schedule of Work. HER Doc. No. 1254.
  • <6> Personal Observation: Myers, A. Site visit or other evidence.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3497 4773 (29m by 26m)
Civil Parish BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR2552
  • EDR2754

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.