Building record MDR7795 - Daniel Hayes farmhouse, Smisby
Type and Period (1)
- FARMHOUSE (Stuart to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
Early 18th and mid-19th century - red brick with plain tile roof and brick ridge stack. Chamfered blue brick plinth, plain first and second floor bands and dentil eaves cornice. Two storeys and attics. T-plan. Two bay south elevation. Daniel Hayes farmhouse is a Grade II listed building. It has a segement headed doorway with a plank door. To the right is a 3-light segment headed casement window, and to the right again a 19th century canted bay window of 1-2-1 lights. There are two 3-light segment headed windows above. (1, 2) Stone foundations - possibly to support a timber-framed building - can be seen on the north-eastern elevation of the house. (3) In October 2004 an archaeological watching brief was undertaken during groundworks prior to the construction of an extension to the southwest side of the farmhouse. A number of demolished structural features were recorded, including several brick-built foundation walls. These probably represent the survivng remains of a former wing of the building, for which a scar is still visible on the southwest-facing elevation of the standing building. Finds retrieved from demolition deposits associated with the former structures were dated to the later 18th century. A capped brick-built well was also identified which possibly also went out of use as a result of this episode of demolition. (4)
- <1> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 9/3420/069.
- <2> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(g).1, with photo.
- <3> SDR19177 Personal Observation: Myers, A. Site visit or other evidence. Site visit: Feb 20 2002.
- <4> SDR19675 Unpublished document: Duncan, M (Birmingham Archaeology). 2004. Daniel Hayes Farm, Pistern Hill, Hartshorne: An Archaeological Watching Brief.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 34421 20687 (14m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||SMISBY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2015 12:39PM