Monument record MDR787 - Medieval/post-medieval landscape, West Broughton Farm, Sudbury
Type and Period (7)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING PLATFORM (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLOUGH HEADLAND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Ridge and furrow, hollow ways, old boundaries and enclosures identified from aerial photographs and plotted at 1:10,000. (1) A variety of earthworks lie in fields on both sides of Broughton Brook. The earthworks comprise a raised rectangular platform c. 100m by 70m which is subdivided into several smaller rectilinear areas demarcated by earthen banks and ditches. These relatively flat areas may be building platforms. The large platform is surrounded by ridge and furrow on several alignments. Some areas of ridge and furrow are bounded by earthwork banks and ditches, probably the original furlong boundaries, while others are crossed by later drainage ditches. The majority of the earthworks are probably those of a deserted medieval farmstead or village, perhaps West Broughton, first recorded in 1208 as Broughton, meaning 'Brook farm'. (2) (Source includes sketch survey of earthworks) In addition to ridge and furrow and hollow ways, a pit or pond of unknown date was identified from aerial photographs at SK 1451 3270. (3) A geophysical survey carried out in 1999 recorded probable pit-like features and other disturbances at SK 1442 3284. These lie in the vicinity of several gentle earthworks which were identified as part of a field reconnaissance survey. (4, 5) Medieval ridge and furrow, plough headlands and banks were identified as earthworks in this area on aerial photographs dating to 1948-75. (6)
- <1> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <2> SDR19058 Unpublished document: Challis, K, Morris, T & Woodhouse, G. 1994. A564(T) Doveridge Bypass Archaeological Assessment. Site 1.
- <3> SDR19086 Unpublished document: Network Archaeology Ltd. 1999. Drointon to Sutton Proposed Gas Pipeline. Archaeological Desk Based Assessment. Site DBA:CN, map 2.
- <4> SDR19088 Unpublished document: Network Archaeology Ltd. 1999. Drointon to Sutton Proposed Gas Pipeline. Archaeolog. Fieldwalking, Field Reconn. & Geophys. Survey. Site 20.
- <5> SDR19011 Unpublished document: Bartlett, A (Bartlett-Clark Consultancy). 1999. Drointon to Sutton Proposed Gas Pipeline, Vol. 2. Report on Archaeogeophysical Survey.. Figs. 3B-7, Maps 6-13. Fig 4A (I).
- <6> SDR21002 Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 14443 32593 (1271m by 898m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||DOVERIDGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 28 2015 10:46AM