Listed Building record MDR7965 - Nos. 114-118 High Street, Woodville
Type and Period (3)
- POTTERY WORKS (Hanoverian to Mid 20th Century - 1833 AD to 1950 AD?)
- SHOP (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1950 AD? to 2050 AD)
- BUILDING (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1950 AD? to 2050 AD)
(SK31761877) Pottery (named on map) (1-2). Buildings shown as those in source 2 (not named) (3-4). Buildings shown (not named) (5). Housing occupies the site at the grid reference given. Works buildings and a truncated kiln survive 50m to the NE at SK31811881. (6) From the National Heritage List for England: 'WOODVILLE HIGH STREET Nos. 114-118 (even) Kiln and buildings at Former Escolme Pottery II Pottery kiln and attached workshop. Dated 1833 in blue headers on top courses; for T Hall and William Davenport; later it was the Escolme pottery. The former bottle kiln is built of red brick with some blue headers: English garden wall bond (2 stretcher courses to 1 header course). Circular on plan, approximately 8.5 metres in diameter at base. The upper section of the kiln has been removed. Square opening under steel joist to east. Attached to the south west of the kiln is a range of former workshops, now agricultural buildings: 2 storey, 4 bays wide; 2-light windows and under segmental heads formed of blue headers at first floor; square headed openings to ground floor with two wider cart openings; external timber stair to right and pitching door to lower wing to left. The buildings on the High Street and the former workshop range behind the High Street frontage of nos. 114 -116 are not of special interest. A rare and early survival of the once extensive pottery industry in south Derbyshire National Grid Reference: SK3182918834.' (7)
- <1> SDR17386 Map: OS. 1887. OS County series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Surveyed 1879-81, published 1887. 1:10560.
- <2> SDR17643 Map: OS. 1902. OS County Series: 1:10560 Sheet Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Second edition 1902. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR18953 Map: OS. 1925. OS County Series 1:10560. Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE Edition of 1925, revised 1920-1.
- <4> SDR17639 Map: OS. 1938. OS County Series: 1:10560. Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Provisional edition, revision of 1920-1, with additions in 1938. 1:10560.
- <5> SDR12489 Map: OS. 1977. OS:10000 1977.
- <6> SDR18955 Index: Malone, S (RCHME). 1994. National Forest Project Index: UID 924111.
- <7> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1413156.
|Grid reference||SK 31829 18834 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WOODVILLE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 29 2021 11:19PM