Skip to main content

Monument record MDR7974 - Victoria Pottery (site of), Chapel Street, Woodville

Type and Period (2)

  • (Georgian to Second World War - 1800 AD to 1940 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A Brick Yard is shown on the 1st ed. 6" map of 1887. It is not clear whether the two circular structures, presumably kilns, were part of the same works. Early 20th century OS maps name the works as the Victoria Pottery. The brick yard is no longer named. (3-4). Now a residential area (5) A stone bottle works was built on this site in the mid 19th century and was still there in the 1870s. The buildings were then derelict for some years and were later rebuilt and enlarged by Aldridge, Smith & Co. with an Edward Roland Tunnicliff as a sleeping partner. By 1900 Tunnicliff had taken over and the works was known as the Victoria Pottery. This pottery produced the type of wares that suited the clay of the district. In 1906 they were advertising 'Domestic Bristol ware, fireproof and yellow ware and Rockingham goods', showing examples of tea and coffee pots, stew pots and hot water bottles. They also made the earthenware teapots which have become known as 'Barge ware'. The idea of a pottery art guild based at the works had been broached by 1908. The guild, with a staff of ten, worked separately from the other side of the Victoria Pottery and won a number of awards and medals at various international exhibitions. Pieces included vases, fruit and confectionery bowls, pot-pourri jars, biscuit caskets, tobacco pots, cake stands, ink wells, candlesticks, altar vases and fonts. The business prospered until the end of the First World War and continued afterwards for a time following a merger with Ault Potteries Ltd. However, the financial problems of the 1920s and 1930s proved too much for them. Nothing now remains of the works. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Map: OS. 1887. OS County series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Surveyed 1879-81, published 1887. 1:10560.
  • <2> Map: OS. 1902. OS County Series: 1:10560 Sheet Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Second edition 1902. 1:10560.
  • <3> Map: OS. 1925. OS County Series 1:10560. Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE Edition of 1925, revised 1920-1.
  • <4> Map: OS. 1938. OS County Series: 1:10560. Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Provisional edition, revision of 1920-1, with additions in 1938. 1:10560.
  • <5> Map: OS. 1977. OS:10000 1977.
  • <6> Article in serial: Brown, R B. 1987. 'Three South Derbyshire Art potters', Journal of the Northern Ceramics Society. Vol. 6, pp 193-217, illust..



Grid reference Centred SK 31485 18649 (96m by 99m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 2 2017 11:59AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.