Monument record MDR8038 - Earthwork complex, Brizlincote Hall Farm, Bretby
Type and Period (5)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
As part of the National Forest Project, a number of features were identified north-north-west of Brizlincote Hall Farm, using good quality aerial photographs. They include the following: a probable earthwork enclosure of medieval date seen as an incomplete rectangular enclosure, ?m by 26m, defined by a bank with three sides visible and centred at SK 2720 2225; a possible earthwork trackway of medieval date seen as a single linear feature defined by two banks, with a maximum length of 192m, centred at SK 2717 2223; probable earthwork field boundaries of medieval date seen as perpendicular linear features each defined by a bank, with a maximum length of 100m, centred at SK 2701 2231. The enclosure appears as a terrace into the slope. It may be connected with quarry hollows seen on the hillside, although there is ridge and furrow north and west of Brizlincote Hall Farm which might indicate medieval settlement on this site. (1, 2) For much of the middle ages, Brizlincote was part of the holdings of the Abbey of Burton upon Trent, but under it was held from early in the 15th century by the Hortons of Catton. They built a moated seat slightly to the north-west of the present house, and remains of the earthworks are still visible. (3) The rectangular enclosure referred to above may be the moated site. An aerial photograph, undated but presumably c. 2008, and taken with the sun low on the horizon, shows a range of earthworks, including the enclosure, with ridge and furrow running up to it. It also shows ridge and furrow to the north and north-east of the present farm, and further rectangular enclosures to the north-east, around SK 274 223. These may represent house platforms - Wooley refers to Brizlincote ('Brassincot') as 'a small village seated about a mile west of Bretby', where the Earl of Chesterfield had just pulled down a large stone house and built the present brick house. (4, 5)
- <1> SDR18967 Index: Kershaw, A (RCHME). 1993. National Forest Project Index.
- <2> SDR18955 Index: Malone, S (RCHME). 1994. National Forest Project Index: UID 924111.
- <3> SDR4297 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1991. The Derbyshire Country House. p 45.
- <4> SDR20759 *Internet Web Site: Bing Maps. www.bing.com/maps. Website viewed 28/07/2009.
- <5> SDR19557 Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 27158 22268 (526m by 353m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRETBY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2015 11:31AM