St Oswald's Church, Ashbourne, has a Saxon or Norman crypt, the existence of which was verified during excavations in 1913. The oldest part of the present church is the chancel, rededicated in 1241, and there is a small fragment of stone with 10th century interlace in the Boothby Chapel. (1, 2)
A number of fragments and whole examples of decorated pavement and wall tiles were kept in the 'Monumental Chapel' in Ashbourne church. These contained about 29 different designs. (3)
Church in normal use (1966). The 10th century stone is still in the church but is a poor example. Permission to photograph was refused. (4)
Tower bell is of historical significance, dating from around 1580. It is a clear example of the founder's work, Newcombe of Leicester. (5)
Two fragments of possible cross shaft found in the 19th century, now only one survives and is presently kept inside the parish church. (6)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'822/1/24 CHURCH STREET 822/2/24 (Southeast side) 15-JUN-51 PARISH CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
Early foundation. present church is mainly Early English from circa 1220 but a few remnants of earlier Norman work survive and a Saxon cross shaft (part) in the south aisle. The church is believed to stand on the site of a pagan holy well, now thought to be concealed beneath tyre crossing. The tower and spire circa 133O. The spire, which has been rebuilt several times, has a height of 215 ft. Perpendicular additions and alterations circa 1520. The battlements to the chancel were added by Sir G G Scott in 1878 and the church was restored by Cottingham earlier in the C19. Some fine monuments from C14, of which the most famous is probably the figure of Penelope Boothby 1791, by Thomas Banks. Some mediaeval glass remains. In l644, the church was fired on by Parliamentarians and the marks are still visible in the west wall.
Nos 38, 40 and 72, together with Pegg's Almshouses, Owlfield's Almhouses, The Mansion, the Summerhouse and the cobbled pavements form a group with the parish Church of St Oswald and the churchyard gate piers, gates and walls.
Listing NGR: SK1763146443.'
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. pp. 40-3.
Article in serial: Hollick, K M. 1961. Archaeological Journal.
Article in serial: Ward, J. 1892. 'Notes on the medieval pavements and wall tiles of Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 14, pp 119-140.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 26-JUL-66.
Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
Correspondence: Sidebottom, P. 1994. Letter regarding Anglo-Saxon stone monuments in Derbyshire, 15th February, 1994. Letter.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1207715.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.