Almshouses built in 1710 to the south-east of the church. It comprises three sides around a courtyard and is a two-storeyed structure. There are quoins, a hipped roof and two-light low mullioned windows. (1)
These almshouses were founded under the will of Nicholas Spalden in 1710, and were built in 1723-4 around three sides of a court just to the south-east of the church. They follow the traditions of the older almshouses with their mullioned windows, but are built of brick. (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SCHOOL LANE 1. 783 (West Side) Spalden's Almshouses SK 14 NE 1/33 15.6.5l. II GV 2. Founded 1710 and erected shortly afterwards. Red brick and stone dressings, - part restored. Plain stone eaves, hipped old tile roof. 2 storeys grouped about 3 sides of a court. Plain, 2 light mullioned windows with early C19 glazing bars throughout. Ledged doors in stone faced surrounds with pseudo- quoins and plinth. Moulded cornice continued along 1st floor and forms hood; mutules above the doors. Modern 1 storey, brick addition to centre rear elevation.
All the listed buildings in School Lane form a group with No 69 Church Street and with the School Lane section of the churchyard walls to the parish church of St Oswald.
Listing NGR: SK1769246420.'
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.