Monument record MDR819 - Churchyard surrounding the Church of St Oswald, Ashbourne
Type and Period (2)
- GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
The extent of the churchyard in the medieval period is not known, but it is clear from the comparison of historic maps that it was been extended between 1830 and c. 1880. Traditionally that part of the churchyard lying south-east of the chancel is said to have been used for plague burials in 1594 and 1605-6, with the spot never having been re-opened for further burials. The main churchyard gates were taken down and rebuilt a few feet from their original site in the course of road widening in 1958. A plan of Ashbourne dated 1547 shows a cross to the east of the church, although whether this indicates that a churchyard cross was present at that time, or whether it simply symbolises the cemetery, is not known. The plan also shows a lych gate along the eastern boundary and a number of buildings forming the southern boundary. These may later have been excluded when the cemetery was walled along its southern side. (1) The stone gate piers and gates to the main churchyard entrance at the junction of Church Street with School Lane are of 18th century date and are Grade II* listed. (2) The wrought iron gates to the eastern exit of the church of St Oswald, were manufactured circa 1730 by the local Blacksmith, Robert Bakewell. (3)
- <1> SDR19591 Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2001. Extensive Urban Survey: Ashbourne. Archaeological Assessment Report.. Component 1.
- <2> SDR5081 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Ashbourne UD, Derby Feb 1974, 21..
- <3> SDR9422 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0055. 0055.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1760 4641 (196m by 158m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2016 2:02PM