Pegg's Almshouses were founded in 1669 and erected shortly afterwards. They are a single storey range at right angles to the street. They are built from Ashlar with stone gable ends that facing the street has large armorial and inscribed panels with prolix Latin inscriptions. There are coupled 2-light mullioned windows throughout. The doors are ledged in chamfered 4-centred arches. The clustered stone chimney stacks are modern or restored. There is a detached range of outbuildings opposite erected 1848 in a similar style. There are old tiles to the roof. Nos 38, 40 and 72, together with Pegg's Almshouses, Owlfield's Almshouses, The Mansion, the Summerhouse and the cobbled pavements form a group with the parish Church of St Oswald and the churchyard gate piers, gates and walls. (1)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109548.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1779 4653 (18m by 24m) (Centre)
ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2016 2:02PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.